Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Lionbridge / Leapforce / Appen Butler-Hill

A couple of readers have written in to ask about the three big "search engine evaluation" sites - Lionbridge, Leapforce and Appen Butler-Hill. These companies hire for regular part-time / full-time positions doing something or another with Google's search algorithms and rankings (it's impossible to be more specific as they have their employees sign an NDA about the work they do.) They reportedly pay around $12 an hour and hours can range up to 30-something per week. You apply to them online the way you would a standard job, by filling out an online application and submitting a resume.

 I'd love to do write-ups of them, but I have no experience with them! I tried applying to Lionbridge, then Leapforce. I applied to Lionbridge on a Friday night, included a resume, and got a rejection letter within about 10 minutes after completing the application. Also submitted a resume to Leapforce and they never got back to me, which I'm seeing on forums is standard for them when they're not interested (they don't send people rejection letters, it seems they just never get back to you.)

 It's possible my skills and work history underwhelmed them, but I'm also applying from California. I've heard on several forums that they don't like to hire from certain states like California and New York that have strict rules and guidelines governing employment, or higher-than-usual minimum wage in certain counties. I have no idea the validity of this but it would explain why I was rejected almost immediately by Lionbridge after business hours.

Anyone from the more expensive parts of California or New York working for any of these companies? Can you talk about your experience with them (to the extent you are allowed) in the comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment