Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Scam Warning: Livingston Research



"Academic writing" sites are a hot-button issue in freelance writer circles. It's a code word for sites where students can pay for essays, homework and such. Many writers detest them for ethical reasons and won't go near one.

I'm more "eh" on the subject since I really feel that formal education is, as my Australian friends would put it, something of a "rort" in a lot of cases. I'm not a fan of these sites, but my avoiding them is more about their reputation for being run from third-world countries and being shady as hell. Also paying absolute crap.

So Livingston Research, which is one such "academic writing" site, is something you would usually never see mentioned here. Just wouldn't bother with it. If it were just an ethical question, I wouldn't feel it was worth covering. Don't have time to track down and neg every essay site out there.

However, reader k_kiko wrote in with a story that, if true, would indicate that Livingston Research is actively scamming writers out of money.

Here's what they had to say:

"Hi, I was just wondering if you had any experience with Livingston Research. I think this site may be a scam. They ask you to do two sample essays for them, for which you are supposed to be paid $20 regardless of the results. The scam is that there is no way to cash out. You do the essays, they reject you, and then there is no way to access the money they supposedly paid. They just tell you to apply again in a few months."

Yeah, that sounds scammy to me. Let's check it out.

Investigating Livingston Research


via GIPHY


As you approach the site and begin setting up a new account, they take pains to never come right out and say that you're doing people's homework and class papers for them. They couch it all as being some sort of "academic research" and "homework assistance."

I created an account using a bogus name and throwaway email address. Very little in the way of personal info is asked other than a PayPal address, so this part was easy. You're launched almost directly into the site's style guide and training materials, for which you're supposed to be paid $5 just for reviewing and passing a quiz. A little counter in the upper-right indicates that you do indeed appear to be earning actual money as you complete these things.

The next test is your first sample essay. I was tipped off by k_kiko that this is actually a fake-out, however. They make it appear as if your essay will be reviewed, but what actually happens is that once you submit it they just forward you to an "ideal" sample of that same topic instead (which appears to be far too involved for the paltry $5 per 300 word page they are offering). So, as I did, you can just bang out a masterpiece such as this and upload it as a .doc to move the process forward:



Truth be told, you could probably just upload a blank document.

At this point we appear to have $10 in our coffers. It's time for the final essay; you select from a list of a few different topics, and this will be reviewed by someone on their staff.

I wasn't about to do this, but k_kiko sent me their sample essay upon request so I could get some sense of Livingston Research's lofty standard for that rich 1.5 cents per word they offer. k_kiko tells me that the scoring categories looked as if they were just randomly selected by a RNG or a small animal. I won't share their essay here for privacy's sake, but it appeared to merit a "poor" English rating from Livingston. It was not at all poor.

k_kiko also took a screenshot of their current state of affairs on the site for me. Once rejected, you are locked into a "please come back in a few months" screen and can do nothing else. Your alleged $20 balance is sitting there, but there is no option to cash out.



In my eyes, this is straight fraud. Essentially, Livingston Research offers paid training but does not tell you that being accepted to the platform is a condition of being able to cash out. Unfortunately, they are based in the Ukraine so legal recourse from any other country basically doesn't exist.

My suspicion is that they are farming free work - the final "test" is actually an order they need filled, or a topic that comes up often that they want to have a stock of on hand. You get auto-rejected with some random rating, they keep and sell your test essay, and never pay you the promised training funds. The ease of getting in with little verifiable personal information and with which they supposedly fork over money to you for doing next to nothing supports this.

Whatever the case, there is no reason to give this site even a second of your time. Even if they were above board, $5 per page breaks down to a rate that is piss-poor for even new and not particularly great freelance writers. Hell, Textbroker is actually a better option, they may be exploity assholes but at least they pay as agreed.

I know some of you will feel that writers getting scammed by this place are getting "just desserts" for participating in an unethical industry. I'm less judgmental about people who are new, confused and possibly desperate for money - exactly the type that scam operations like this target. Let's meet in the middle and agree that regardless of the specific reason, this sleazebag site deserves to be starved of business and to disappear forever.

Further Reading:

* Reddit thread

* They apparently charge writers some sort of "fines" as well? Unbelievable.

40 comments:

  1. From what I've read about them, they do have a system set up to take back money that was already paid to you if they decide they don't like subsequent work. It sounds like you could end up owing them money before you're done there.

    They sound very much like Essay.net, another resume mill in the Ukraine, that went out of business sometime around 2003. It appears they may have reorganized with this new fining system in place so if their coffers run low they can charge the writers to keep them in business. Stay away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you just leave your account even if you have a negative balance?

      Delete
  2. I agree. These guys are great scammers. The test essays are for sell and they you nothing. I tried them out twice. they are just accumulating those test essays for sale as they auto reject applications with similar automated grading rubric. stay away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. These guys are great scammers. The test essays are for sell and they pay you nothing. I tried them out twice. they are just accumulating those test essays for sale as they auto reject applications with similar automated grading rubric. stay away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been working there successfully for a couple of months. They do have high standards, but nothing that is unreasonable for a native-speaking college-educated person with strong writing skills. The pay can be very low sometimes, but the more urgent and complicated orders earn you more money, and it's up to you which assignments you accept to do. I don't accept anything that's below $8 for an hour. Yes it's low, but I also enjoy the writing and getting to sit at home in my PJs. You can also report assignments that you think are priced too low. The great part is that there are ALWAYS assignments available -- depending on your specialty, you could work non-stop. For some specialties, there's not so many at one time, but they are available (it's first-come, first-served). I've made a couple hundred bucks (and have received the money) -- do I wish they paid more? yes. Do they have high standards? yes. Is it a scam? No, not if you actually pass the training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately you didn't even used a name, just an anonymous comment, doesn't inspire much respect or credibility

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. "They do have high standards, but nothing that is unreasonable for a native-speaking college-educated person with strong writing skills" - YES!!!!

      Delete
  5. Don't waste your time, don't even start with this company, they steal your work and what is more dangerous they might steal your personal data. They request you to use a VPN provider which hacks your computer. Livingston Research is a big NO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried their test and I'm 100% sure I passed because it was too easy only to find out that I failed on 6 items..? I tried again using my other email and still the same result came out.. crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the heads up, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm kind of desperate for money, the situation in my country is getting difficult (I'm from Chile) and I found that website looking for "research jobs" but I haven't had time to do the essays and thank goodness I found this blog. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be deceived. Try it out for yourself. While it is no get way to get rich, I averaged 450$ per mo. And it was a great tool to keep myself occupied during the lockdowns around the world.

      Delete
    2. I ahve been working for over 12 months with LR. Yes they are strict but if you do good workyou get paid on time. Yes not much pe hour, but you can take it or leave. I see no scam here,

      Delete
    3. How To Work On Livingstone Research Please Guide Me

      Delete
  9. I have just done 2 essays from this website and sent both yesterday. Lol it says that i have to wait for at least 3 days and I'm still waiting. Not gonna lie, the site looked very real. Anyway it's quarantine I only wasted 1 day on it so it's not a big deal for me since I'm not a writter and i do nothing productive on my home because im locked up due quarantine. i met this site through an ad on facebook and decided to try. I will come back in three days and relate my experience. Thanks for this information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was your experience? Did you get accepted?

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Clare! I'm from the Philippines, too and I was about to do the two test essays and I stumbled upon this blog. I saw your comment and I wanted to ask how DO you cash out the money that they give?

      Delete
    2. Is it worth it? You said it's not a high paying job, yet you were able to buy yourself a new TV and a new air conditioner for your mom? How? I'm just curious.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does it accept Kenyan profile?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been working for this webpage for 15 months and I make around 60 dlls a day. This website is not a scam but it requires writing skills because essays are run through plague scanners and you cant have more than 10% or it gets rejected. It has to be 100% original content and not everyone can do that. It is awesome for people in third worlds you get payed from 5 to 10 dlls per page. Just because you were not able to write good essays doesn't mean other people can. Before you write the kind of stuff you are writing you should really get your facts right...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plague scanners? Like an MRI? By the way, you left out the apostrophe in "can't". And by the way, you have terrible grammar for a guy making money writing essays. To quote you, Before you write the kind of stuff you are writing you should really get your facts right...

      Delete
    2. Would someone send me a copy of an essay I want to try no matter what. Am from UGANDA

      Delete
    3. This type of poor grammar and writing skill does not deserves to get paid more than 1 dll per hour, whatever a "dll" is. and what the hell is a plague scanner. Stupid jerk.

      Delete
  14. Well they make it very clear from the beginning that you won`t be able to cash out the money from the test essays immediately, since they have a minimum amount you need in your account before cashing out the money. I`ve been working for them for a year and never had any problems. Sure it's not enough to make a living but it`s good for making some extra money. Also please don`t use something being from "third world countries" as your argument for it being shady or bad. The term is very outdated and just plain offensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL HAHAHAHAHAH "outdated and plain offensive" LMAOOOO

      Delete
  15. I worked at Livingston, as a freelance writer, for about 2 years. Back then, the pay used to be good (around $8/page). Frankly, the site introduced me to the norms and nuances of academic writing and the researching process. However, the organization's culture underwent substantial deterioration approximately two years ago. They started imposing heavy penalties and reduced order prices by a significant margin. I was once fined for an order that had been approved about a year ago, like wtf! Nonetheless, having improved my writing skills somewhat, I was able to join other more credible sites that pay generously (roughly $12/page and can extend up to $30/page for urgent orders), almost never impose unjustifiable fines, and offer great bonuses. So you can basically use Livingston as a training ground, if you are serious about this business and living in a third-world nation like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you would encourage people to join mainly for the experience? Asking from a third-world nation here

      Delete
    2. Hi can you recommend other pages please, as 5 to 10 dollars per page is a substancial sum in south america when most people gain 500 dollars in full time jobs. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. Hi Augustinian, what are names of these other pages you´re talking about? Please reply :(

      Delete
  16. Augustinian, great comment here. which platform do you suggest as most rewarding, please?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You cannot go wrong with Uvocorp, AsiaWriters, and WritersDepartment. Although, the latter two are more receptive towards ENL writers than ESL ones; you still have a shot if you are proficient enough. Uvocorp, on the other hand, has a scarcity of vacancies. Try to e-mail your CV along with a few appropriately formatted samples of your work as their homepage will not allow you to apply. Once you get in, put in the efforts and you shall be rewarded. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I joined livingston a while ago. I take the test and actually passed but they took a lot more than 3 days to give results, a couple months actually. When I joined the platform, I didn't feel stimulated to work there at all. Payment felt really low to me and there is this crazy internal competition to take the jobs. You literally have to rush click jobs to try getting them and just after you get them you actually read what are they about (and "the system" makes you feel really bad if you actualy decide to not take the job). And them, there are jobs offering $3... honestly I felt that offensive. I don't mean to be rude or anything but I don't think $3 is a payment, feels more like a tip. I really don't feel like putting regular effort into something to receive a tip. I would work there if I had absolutely no other option, it really felt to me like a terrible deal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I joined Livingston Research way back in 2017. At first it was all good, but then there is this one assignment that kept coming back to me saying that the lead writer or whoever approves is not satisfied. They always find something to complain about.

    Also when they see that you are earning more than the average, they can simply make up an excuse of a penalty and take away your earnings with a snap of a finger. I just disappeared and never logged on to the site because of that experience. Then one day, this lady claiming she is from London kept on calling asking me if I still want to be active. I found out later on that they are from Ukraine so you can just imagine my confusion.

    Take note this was 2017 but I see fairly new comments showing that they never changed. IT IS A SCAM. Whoever wants to attempt this, please don't. You'll find something else.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would've been nice if I found this sooner. Found them a few months ago and thought it would be a good idea to apply. Went through the tests but when it came to the writing sample, I was at a lost. None of the documents related to a writing assignment and they didn't come close to the chosen topic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Should've ready this before wasting my time completing the test assay. Well, awaiting my application results. I'll update you as soon as their "recruiter" emails me.

    ReplyDelete